Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Pain

I have been in 2 car accidents in my life, both of which my right shoulder took all of the impact. I've always had a bit of trouble with my shoulder, and can only use my arm so long before it goes numb and I have to take a break and stretch it out. All in all it's been one of those things I've been able to compensate for and haven't had to much trouble. Then the move. I was sore afterwards but didn't think to much about it. Then my arm started going numb a bit quicker and I found I was taking alot more breaks. Then I couldn't sleep because my arm was hurting me so much. Then it spread to my elbow and my shoulder. By Monday I was hurting ALOT and called the doc. My doctor is a licensed MD and a DC! So he got me in yesterday. Apparently the spine in my neck is completely straight instead of curved AND my spine is slipped over to the side completely pinching off my nerves. he did an adjustment and put me on 4 meds...a pain killer, a muscle relaxor, an anti-inflammatory, and a new med on the market used to calm the nerves. (not like emotional like sensation). I took them last night and was sleepy but ok. Went to bed with no change. Woke up this morning and I could hardly get out of bed at all. I was in incredible pain. couldn't turn my head my arms were completely numb and couldn't even brush out emily's hair. i took my meds and brian drove the kids to school and me to the doc. by the time we got to the doc i was so dizzy i couldn't see straight, had trouble keeping my balance standing etc. he did an adjustment and sent me to another doc for traction. every time my head is pulled straight back away from my body the numbness in my arms go away. brian took me home and i fell asleep on the couch. doc called and i flew out the door. the whole drive there the road and everything was swimming in front of my eyes. by the time i got to the doc i couldn't even think straight. i filled out the first 4 lines of the paperwork and then couldn't even hold the pen. the nurse filled it all out. by the time i got back to the room i literally had a breakdown. my back and shoulders were throbbing i could only take fast deep breaths, i was so dizzy i thought i was going to pass out or throw up, and i couldn't use my arms. called my doc and he immediately took me off the nerve meds. i had the traction and then was sent to a massage therapist who searches out the higher temp parts of my spine and does intense pressure massage there. he didn't want to do a full massage because he didn't want to increase my circulation and pump the meds that were already affecting me horribly through my body even more.
now i'm home and feeling like crap. i'm pretty drugged up and have very limited use of my arms and neck.
doc said it will take days to weeks for the pain to go away and that it will take months to fix it. i've been put on permanent restriction from ever lifting heavy items again, and told this will be a life long thing that i will be battling from here on out. gotta love life.
so anyways typing is getting fuzzy. i'm off to the couch.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh Heather I am so sorry that you are going thru this. I will be thinking and praying for you that you will get relief and are able to get back to normal...