This morning Eli and I got to cuddle for about 30 minutes. He was fidgetty and upset so the nurse thought it would be a good opportunity to give it a try. He did pretty decent. His resps were higher and his O2 was a bit lower, but all in all he did pretty well.
This morning Eli was also a bit wheezy with more crackle in his lungs. By early afternoon his sats were hanging out in the low 90's. So they did his IPPB and decided to leave him on BiPAP to try and help inflate his lungs some more. At this point we were informed that the CT showed full on pneumonia in BOTH lungs as well as lung collapse. They decided with his increased need for O2, the fact that he was still retracting, and the sounds of his lungs that it was going to be best to move him back into a full PICU setting. So here we sit. Since being back in PICU he has done great on high flow O2 mask and hasn't required BiPAP. The intensivist came in and spent some time going over his history and all of this current illness. She understand him being a super complex kiddo and does agree that Eli can do things quickly and dramatically. That being said at the moment he's doing really well considering everything that is going on. The secretions are still super thick and super far down so that's still a major hurdle we have to get over. They are unsure of if he's at the worst of it or if it's going to continue to get worse before it gets better. So right now it's a wait and see game. It's really up to his little body.
So currently PICU is maintianing where he is at and waiting to see what he does this evening. Bob and I are beyond exhausted, especially in light of all of the last minute dramatic changes today.
We will have alot better idea of where we are in the next 24-48 hrs.
oh and on an extra side note...Eli woke for a few while here in PICU and smiled!!! :) It was the most beautiful smile ever!!!
More updates tomorrow!
In closing here is a pic of little man with his brand new sock monkey with a mito ribbon!!!